Monday, October 1, 2007

"City Girl"

That nickname was given to Valerie many years ago. I have never that of myself as a city girl until it was wrote today. So I have decided to blog about it. Growing up I lived in a small town called Blair. When you went to bed you would hear the trains going through town other then that you would hear the crickets chirping away. The sun would rise and the birds would be carrying on there conversations outside in the trees. There is no traffic to be heard unless some dumb teenager was messing around otherwise just sounds of nature. The sirens will go off in town and everyone would know what siren it is and you would wait and see if the rescue or fire truck go out 75 or 91. If you didn't see it you knew it went the other direction. Don't plan to have a meal after 9 except for McDonalds because the town basically closes up at that time. You shopped at Pamida or you went to Omaha to shop which is a 20-25 minute drive depending on if you get behind a Sunday driver. Which seems to happen any day of the week.

When I visit Blair overnight it is so nice to sleep with it being quiet. I live on a very busy street in Omaha so you hear traffic all night long if you have your door or windows open. To hear nature that is not very often except for the wind. You can eat at any time of the night because you can always find somewhere to go. I have many places to shop around my place I could walk to them if I wanted to but I don't due to having to cross major intersections. If there is someone being a sunday driver they usually get honked at or given the finger telling them they are #1. I however wouldn't change where I live because I love the conveince of everything.

I have read in the local paper back home that there is many things changing and I am afraid that the town I grew up in isn't going to be there anymore. Just in the last month it has changed a lot when you come into town. Sometimes change is good but I don't think this is going to be good for the town. I know someone that has a local business in blair and I hope that these big companies that are coming in won't hurt them. That is what made that town the way it is.

Let the small towns be you big corporations!!!!!!

2 comments:

LaDawn said...

Do you know the story behind how Valerie got the nickname City Girl? I think I am going to have to post about this.....she might kill me though!

Janell said...

PLEASE tell us the story - we'll need it for the next edition of the Carson book!