Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Favorite Meal Growing Up

All this talk about food lately has made me think back to growing up and what my favorite meal was, and still is. However it doesn't do to well for the waistline. On our birthdays we always got to choose what wanted mom to make. I loved round steak mashed potatoes and gravy. That would be my birthday meal. The one meal I would eat everything on my plate was Roast beef mashed potatoes and gravy. I am from a small town so I grew up on red meat and potatoes. I am attempting to change the red meat thing but the potatoes will never be gone.

My favorite place to go out to dinner growing up was The Green Lantern in Decatur, Nebraska, Gurney's in Missouri Valley Iowa and Dusty Rose in Tekamah Nebraska. However I haven't been to them in years. Very sad about the Dusty Rose has changed owners and names. Not the same as it was. The other two I really can't say to much about since its been a while.

What were your favorite meals and/or going out to dinner when growing up?

2 comments:

Janell said...

The Green Lantern was a great place to eat when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s. It still is.
Gurney's is also a fave. They have a great onion bloom.
My mom always made roast beef, potatoes & gravy and jello salad on Sundays. I still do whenever I can. I love walking into the house when we get home from church and the aroma of the roast is absolutely heavenly!

LaDawn said...

The Blue Parrot in Louisville, Colorado. My parents used to take us there for the best spaghetti in the entire world!